Call for Applications: The 2024 ALBA/Puffin Human Rights Award
August 31, 2023
Deadline for Applications is September 30, 2023
The ALBA/Puffin Human Rights Award is an annual prize of $100,000 presented by the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives and The Puffin Foundation. It is dedicated to the activist tradition of the U.S. volunteers who joined the International Brigades to fight in the Spanish Civil War to stem the rise of fascism.
These volunteers came from all walks of life, workers, students, artists, writers, multi-ethnic groups of men and women who defied U.S. law and risked their lives for anti-fascist principles. As war veterans, they returned home to organize in many civil rights, anti-war and pro-worker campaigns. Their work embodied the interrelationship of class, race, gender, and ethnicity for successful activism both domestically and internationally. The ALBA/Puffin award supports those whose work continues this legacy of the Lincolns.
The deadline for applications is SEPTEMBER 30, 2023. The application must include:
- Name of individual(s) or organization to be nominated
- Nominee’s contact information: address, email, phone, website
- Nominator’s contact information (if applicable – applicants can self-nominate)
- A justification for the nomination – no more than 500 words
- A brief explanation of how the International Brigades, The Lincoln Brigade, the American Medical Bureau, and their activism after the war serve as an inspiration for the nominee’s activist work – no more than 150 words
- Links to supporting documentation which may include news articles, websites, social media activity, publications, or other documents
The selection committee is composed of representatives of ALBA and The Puffin Foundation.